Monday, November 7, 2011

Door County Camping 2011

Halloween weekend I got together a group of people to head up to Peninsula State Park to camp out for a fall weekend. This is an annual event I hold with up to 60 guests everyone has someone to play with and something to do. This year the trip was just as grand as last years.

Friday I arrived in Fish Creek at about 5:00 pm, stopping at the ranger station to find out who was already there I got a warm welcome and was told they had already gone down to camp and were setting up. Pleasant surprise I thought, but the next day I had the ranger come around to tell me that 5 people had no park sticker or pass on their cars, weaksauce yall. Anyway Friday night was a nice warm fall night, good people sat around a huge fire ($50.00 of wood) sharing foods, spirits, and libations of all sorts. Though I have to say it was the coffee rum that did me in that night. We all turned in after a good buzz had settled in and the air started cooling, best to get some rest for the morrow!

Saturday started cloudy but gave way to sun and partly cloudy skies in the morning hours. I awoke to see half my camp awake and alive around the still smoldering fire huddling for warmth. So I started up the fire and got crackin' on breakfast, but much to my surprise one camper showed up with tons of bagels and cream cheese for the whole camp! So after that business was done many set off to hike, bike, and kayak while still others decided to hang at camp. I had to run into town to grab supplies (forgot my dog's food at home... oops), but when I got back (with another $50.00 in wood) most everyone had already started getting ready for family dinner night while others had gone zip-lining outside of town! It's like a potluck, everyone brings something to share, and boy did we have a great variety of chili's, curry's, hotdogs, chips, and the like! Again the specialty rum broke out and the mood started flowing into the glowing phase of campfire time. I had found that there was a lack of room around the large fire (and was craving some alone time) so I set off to make another... but where there's fire, there's man. Like a swarm of moths the campers came over to my new campfire and sat, drinking more and breaking into "guess that song" singing games! Crazy crazy evening, everyone was going strong!


Sunday morning was pack down and get out day, so I spent the morning getting everything and everyone set. A good portion of the group left while another portion decided to keep going on some day activities they had planned, so I did the campsite policing and called the ranger down to check it out. On the way out the lady at the desk of the ranger station stopped and told me all about how she had meet all my campers and all of the talked about what  blast they had! She asked if we would come back next year and do this, to which I obliged, and said she was super thrilled to see a group like mine coming and enjoying the park to it's fullest! How awesome, warm fuzzies for me!


That was 2011, better than 2010, could 2012 be even better?! You should come along and find out, get your stuff ready now cause next year will be amazing! Hope you can make it and I hope this gives you an idea of what a great time a group camp-out can be anytime of the year. Peace, love, and trailspace!

~M

No comments:

Post a Comment