Monday, January 30, 2012

Mountain Hardwear Trad Pack


I bought this pack 2 years ago, it was a nice ultralight sized backpack for those quick one night get away's (and also for the girlfriend at the time due to it's load capacity), since then it's become my all-around go-to bag for when I need to pack and go. Winter sports, flying, hiking, B.O.B. (bug-out bag), or even climbing this bag has done them all and did them well. While most bags and companies keep adding features and technology to their lineup MH has kept this one pretty simple while still putting thought into what counts in a backpack that's supposed to be an all-round all-star.
I heard a rumor that this pack started out as an ice climbing/ski/snowboard bag but soon became a much more rugged 4 season pack with some serious tool carrying capability... now I can't confirm that rumor, but I can agree with what it has become.

The most recent version's body is made from 210 HexNut (tm) Tipstop Nylon, accent pieces from 420D HD Nylon, and the bottom a "beefy" (as MH's website accurately puts it) 840 HT Ballistic Nylon. Current colors are Galactic Blue, Flame Red, and Black with the loops and daisy-chains being an easy to spot yellow. The pack only comes in two sizes, S/M (35 L) and M/L (39 L), but with full suspension straps and dual density padded and contoured shoulder straps, it's easy to size to assure a comfortable fit. Now... I'm that awkward size like when puberty hit and nothing fit you (I'm 5'10" 140 lbs), I bought the S/M sized pack underestimating my size slightly, while it's no big deal I still wish I had gone with the larger size. The hip straps come with zippered pockets on the belt for stowing of items you want on hand, my leathermen and headlamp usually share one pocket while my lighter and granola bar share the other. The pack's HDPE framsheet has a perimeter alloy shaping rod that is supposed to help transfer weight to the hips, I haven't put more than 30 lbs in this bag but it does seem to hold that weight pretty well without wearing out my shoulders. The center stay is made out of a 7075 high strength aluminum for lightweight load support. And the new backpanel has MH's "HardWave Technology, which is a cool way to say ripples (I'm going to start saying it all the time now), which is meant to help facilitate cooling of your backside and airflow between you and the pack. I'm still in love with Osprey's Airspeed design, but I do hear all good things about the backpanel.
This top-load pack has the fold-down design which allows for removal of the lid when it's not needed, I like this function when I'm on day hikes, it gives the pack a smaller profile by lowering you center of gravity and allows for you to shed weight (as small as an amount as it is). The lid and body of the pack have two pockets, the lid can stow 2 days worth of food and snacks while the body can hold a hydration reservoir and smaller first aid kit. One nice little feature that they threw in with my design (don't know if the new ones have this) were the LNT principles printed on the inside of the pack; I liked this a lot, it's just one of those things that only comes with great thought and love of the outdoors (well done MH crew). The pack features a hydration tube exit port and specific pocket which can be accessed from the exterior of the pack which makes for easy filling. While this is a top-load pack there is a J-zipper on the side of the body to access your stuff that may be middle packed, I've been liking this idea more and more as better and stronger zipper designs have come out. A neat feature is the joining of the compression straps to the body of the bag, the straps are secured inside a third semi-pocket on the body of the pack where you can stow the extra line of the straps or completely tuck them away if you don't to use them. Mine are usually fixed on loosely only being tight when I pack my hiking poles, ice ax, or other tools, but it's a nice thought and a good design. I also like the compression strap on the underside of the lid, I like to throw a "might need" item if I'm moving fast all day or my sleeping pad. The overall weight is a little more than you would expect at 3 lbs. 2 oz. but you don;t notice it once the pack is on. Something you may want to consider when purchasing is getting a rain cover for it, I've used a couple of my covers from other packs for it but they fit very awkwardly, also simply because this pack isn't waterproof.

The Good: It does everything with little struggle to make it work. Durable beyond belief, I've hucked and chucked this thing in any hole, deck, river, bluff, and crevasse I can find and it keep on kickin'!
The Bad: Retains smells for some reason. Back can get hot and sweaty quick. Not a perfect fit in size or feel, kinda have to work with what you've got in every situation (though it's never bad enough to quit on it).
Rating: 4 Stars
The Bottom Line: Yes, I'd recommend it.

~Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment