Saturday, January 7, 2012

The Best Survival Tool: You

Many people often ask me about survival and what it takes to survive a life threatening situation like being lost in the wild. More often than not they are looking for some sort of magic gear kit or tool that will rescue them in times of peril. I indulge the gear junkies and outdoorsy types with what I use and rely on as far as my tools go if I were ever caught in said situation. But the honest truth that everyone should know is that there isn't one single tool I could have on my utility belt (even with an arsenal like Batman) that will help me more than I can help myself. You, and you alone can be your best survival tool if you remember a couple things...

1.) Stay Positive - Above all else you need to believe you will survive, no matter how crazy the plan or dire the circumstances, by believing that you will make it out will not only give you (and those with you) the drive to succeed but also train you to think critically and in a survival mode. A person who thinks they can survive will survive and what one person can do so can another.

2.) Think - Remember any and all knowledge you may have on survival, it will be useful in some way or another, but it's up to you to think critically about it and apply where it matters most. If you're left with nothing than you need to improvise to make something. Anything that can possibly be used in some fashion should be gathered. Think... What do I need: tools, food, shelter, water, signal, first aid... What do I have: what is left (from accident, gear, area around you) and what does nature provide for me... How can I use what I have... How can I change it, mold it, tool it, make it work for me (pound, flatten, sharpen, fold, fuse, etc.)... If it doesn't work the first time you try again, never give up, your life may depend on it. With this caveman style thinking you can find uses for things you never thought possible before.


3.) Stand Your Ground - Where you are is where you should stay, the only exception to this rule is if where you are is a threat to your survival. By standing your ground and making it known you are there you increase your chances of being spotted and found my rescuers. If you should have to leave the area make sure you let people know you were there by leaving a sign of your presence (something that does not happen in nature), if possible show the direction you are headed in so that rescuers can follow your trail. Find the most open area near you and create your signal for rescue there (large smokey fire or 3 in a row, rock/stick formation not naturally occurring, etc.), always be aware of your surroundings when making your signal and take care not to harm the environment where you are stranded (you don't wanna burn down the forest around you making your situation much worse).

These three things can help you survive any situation, by training your mind to think along these lines you will have a head start on the situation and a fighting chance at surviving almost anything. Even if you don't have a utility belt full of neat gear, you can survive if you remember that you are your best survival tool.

~Cheers, Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment