Saturday, December 3, 2011

P-Tec Fuel Headlamp (custom colors series)



The P-Tec Fuel Headlamp is a great gadget, I've used one for biking for the last 3 years, it's also by backup in case something happens to my Remix. Even with a great headlamp already under their belt with a proven design P-Tec decided to follow the customization trend that Apple started in the early 2000's by creating a custom colors line for the Fuel in their Spectrum Project. Now gear junkies can have this lightweight flexible headlamp in an array of custom colors best suited to their liking, completely original designed by it's user. It's a pretty cool idea, I've been diggin' it since P-Tec sent me my Halloween themed Fuel. The color change along with an updated 4th LED are the only differences between this headlamp and it's predecessor, you still get all the functionality of the Fuel Headlamp with a nice color combo to boot. Here's the specs for the junkies...


  • 4 bright LEDs - 3 brightness settings and a strobe function
  • Flood Light beams up to approx. 35m - high, 28m - medium and 20m - low
  • Runs on 3 AAA batteries - up to 50 hrs. of runtime on high, 90 hrs. on medium and 146 hrs. on low - 90 hrs. on strobe
  • Max light output 43 lumens, min. 13 lumens
  • Single-arm ratcheting head
  • Large push-button switch
  • Weight 2.75 ounces
  • Water resistant
  • Limited 5 yr warranty.
The Fuel 4 comes with 3 AAA batteries and a stylish elastic headband, plus you get a little p-tec sticker as well (which is nice). Since I've bought my Remix I've noticed that the button on many of P-tec's headlamps is getting harder to push, with or without gloves on (which is what they say the big "easy to push" button is all about) though it's not impossible. The swivel head offers a good range of visibility and allows you to move around in tight fitted areas while still having ample light. The battery door... now this has always been an issue... many people (including myself) have complained about the flimsy nature of the battery door (which on this model you have to use the plastic pry-tool built into the headband). I find that if you're careful you can get the door open without too much trouble, but this is definitely the Achilles heel of the light. The strobe is a nice feature if you're walking or biking in an urban environment to keep vehicles aware of your presence. I primarily use my headlamps for camping and when I brought this one out for the night hike test, it made good on it's promises. Putting it through the rings was nothing short of what I expected, water resistant (not waterproof), shock resistant (dropped from 25 ft. and still worked), bright enough light to get where you're going (though if you want a brighter light I'd go with the Remix), no qualms about the burn time, and as comfortable as a headlamp can be. Though it's almost a given with most of these products, a reminder that you can use rechargeable batteries in this light; it's a planet friendly way to conserve resources and the power as well as value you get out of a single set is worth it by the second time you change your batteries. Overall I'm giving the Fuel 4 a 4 out of 5 stars, it's a great product with few issues from a reputable company (that I've trusted for years).


Bottom line: Yes I would recommend it to a friend.


I think this is a great idea, it's going to give a lot of people a chance to share a piece of themselves while hiking, biking, caving, whatever! So if you're looking for a stylish piece of gear with good capability and great credentials, look no further, the P-Tec Fuel 4 is a go!


~GTFO, Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment