Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grand Trunk Parachute Nylon Single Hammock

About 2 years ago I came upon a booth at a trade show with the name Grand Trunk on it; I had honestly no idea what to expect but I thought with a name like that it must be a cool company... man, was I right! Kevin Kaiser President and CEO extended a warm handshake to me the moment I walked over and gave me the history of the company as well as a demonstration and explanation of the GT product line. To make it short, Grand Trunk is a travel goods company that specializes in the products you never thought of or make traveling super easy, especially when packing your bags. While I take only a couple of GT's products with me on my adventures, the GT Parachute Nylon Single Hammock has become a staple piece of gear I bring whether it's day hikes or full blown adventures.

Specs
Weight: 16oz
Dimensions: 10.5 x 5ft
Fabric: Parachute nylon with triple-stitched seams
Capacity: 400 lbs
Nautical Grade Carabiners





*Photo on Left: Grand Trunk Website*
*Photo Below: Refugee Stage, Summerfest*
*Photo Below Left: Ed's Lake Wisconsin*
This hammock is great for any form of camping, hiking, home, and office use; although I am still trying to talk my boss into letting me have one at my desk. The colors are fun and easy to spot if you need a landmark to return to on your journey. With the 400 pound weight limit you and your hubby, drunk buddy, or dog can lay back and relax while swinging in the breeze. It does pack into the attached sack about the size of a softball and it already comes with two ultra-strong nylon tree slings that will fit around a 1.5 ft diameter tree (barely), though you can buy a little more tree friendly slings or extra cord if you wish. It's light weight makes it optimum for backpacking and the ease of setting up and using can't be beat (I'd rather set this up than my tent!). Also, I love that even if I soak the hammock, say your canoe capsizes, I just hang it for 10 minutes in a breeze and it's dry as a bone!

Now, this isn't usual... but... I don't want to say that there's flaws with this hammock, because I can't find any; however, there are aspects to "hanging" (as it's called by the niche' of hammock enthusiast) that I didn't know of or expect which, at first, gave me a negative look on the hammock. First know that if you sleep in one, the compression of all material on your backside eliminates most warming ability and fabric has. I found this out on a winter campout when I left out my padding and froze my butt off! You can remedy this with what is called an 'underquilt'. Also, if you do not hang it tightly to eliminate back bend your back will hate you in the morning. There is a specific science to hanging, believe it or not, but as far as everyday generic use goes you don't have to worry about either of those aspects. GT does offer a line of these hammocks including a fully enclosed version, larger, ultralight, and special design versions of this style hammock. I love this piece of gear for two basic reasons, it's durable as heck and it makes any location a hangout (haha!); I'm serious about hanging and my hammock, I take this thing everywhere I go. It's withstood everything from bagging a peak, to seaside beach fires, to music festivals, and more! The simple nature in it's setup and use accompanied with the benefits of relaxation and swinging in the breeze makes this one of the best products I've ever used.


Bottom Line: Yes, I'd recommend it. 5 Star Quality Product
Find it: at the Grand Trunk website or other outdoor stores for $49.99


Hope you've enjoyed the review and I hope we can hangout sometime! GTFO!
~Eco

No comments:

Post a Comment